Friday 27 April 2012

Metal Detecting at Blouberg Beach (27 April 2012)

When: 27 April 2012


Today I went metal detecting at Blouberg. The weather was perfect for this.








Metal Detecting


Below is an example of me swinging my ACE 250:




Here is an example of me finding something using the pinpoint function on my ACE 250. You can see the signal strength gives an indication of where the item is (this is synonymous with an audio signal which plays back to me via my headphones) :




The video below illustrates me finding a coin using the standard coin search function on the ACE 250. The coin sizes might change as you swing the coil over it.






The ACE 250 indicates that a coin was found possibly 8+ inches deep.




Where


I started off at the top of this google map and swept my way down just past the KFC. I probably only searched about 2% of this portion.



View Larger Map


What


This was my best search yet. My total for the 3 hours is R35.52. I found many R2 coins in addition to a very old 1962 old republic coin.






My finds:



An old 1 cent coin


An old R0.01 coin



A lovely discoloured R5 coin :)





Curse you bottle caps!






Look at the state of the corrosion on this R1 coin

The rear of the R1 coin




This is a very cheap metal alloy pendant that can be hung from a chain. Probably found in a lucky packet lol



The elements enjoyed this coin.


I was receiving really crazy coin signals which were spaced about 30cm apart. This didn't make sense to me. So I dug and dug and the signals remained steady. Weird I thought. "I'm not giving up" So dig I did. Eventually I struck something hard which was extremely rusty. As it turns out it is a piece of wreck. I assume it is part of the wreck you see just a few hundred meters away in the photos below.







I will post a photo of my total findings after they have dried off :-). Here are the promised photos!


Here are some shots of the old 1962 coin I found

No comments:

Post a Comment