Monday 23 April 2012

Metal Detecting at Clifton (21 April 2012)

When: 21 April 2012


On Saturday I planned to go metal detecting with the company of my younger sister at Clifton. The original plan was to go to Muizenberg but we decided otherwise.


The weather was really in our favour. It was foggy and chilly so there was almost no-one on the beach - perfect metal detecting conditions.


We started detecting at about 10:30am and finished up at 12:30. So we got in about an hour and a half of detecting in.


Where


I started off at the smaller beach at the top of the google image and finished off at the larger lower beach. I must say that I expected to find a bit more. I found nothing at the smaller beach.



View Larger Map 


What


I found most of my coins near ice-cream sticks that were scattered about on the sand. Considering that this beach is very active there was alot of junk I had to ignore. Initially I wanted to dig up every signal that I found.




As you can see, there is a bit of junk. I was going to leave them but thought I would keep them for show (I will throw all my junk in the recycle bin after a dozen more metal detecting sessions).
The earring stud at the top left gave me a coin signal so I was surprised when I found it. The foils came up as unlocatable signals which I then found by using the pinpoint function of the 250 which proved to work very well. Pull-tabs also come up as junk but I was too hopeful in thinking "maybe, just maybe its a coin lol".
Ofcourse both bottle tops gave coin signals. The "sealed for your protection" seal also came up as junk but I decided to dig anyways.
Surprisingly it was very easy finding the actual coins. They gave very strong coin signals and I usually found them within the first or second spade scoop. My sister was the designated digger. I would tell her I found something and she would know to dig at the center of my coil.


I expected to find 10x the amount since Clifton is so popular...but hey, can't always get what we wish for heheh :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment